Monday, September 19, 2011

Remains to be Seen. Book now available.

Remains to be Seen Book Pay-Pal link

Proof pages (Remains to be Seen book)

Proof pages (Remains to be Seen book)

Proof pages (Remains to be Seen book)

Proof pages (Remains to be Seen book)

For the last 2 months I have been working on producing a book based on my photo-series 'Remains to be Seen'. After several hitches the book is now published and I finally picked it up from the printers on Friday. It was a huge learning experience for me and it was my first venture into self publishing a portfolio of my photographic work. It contains two poems and 60 photographs over 70 pages and printed in a limited edition of 100 copies which are all signed and numbered. This book is now available to order via the link below using Paypal:

To order a copy please follow this link, thank you:

‘Remains to be Seen’ is a personal work which explores grief, loss and memory and the emotional impact these experiences have had on the way I have come to perceive the world here in the present. It’s a book of clues, keys, symbols, echoes and traces. Like latent fingerprints lifted from the psyche - made thousands of miles away from the graves of which it speaks of and recorded several years ‘after the facts’. Because of a lack of direct access to perhaps more concrete ‘evidence’ which still remains stored in a barn in England, a basement in Norway and a spare bedroom in Wales, this book has become very much a history of the present. Because of this, my only resources for making this work have been internal in nature - accompanied by a certain awareness, like a frequency that was tuned into and the series as a whole has been, to some extent, something of a ghost hunt. The sad events which have silently surrounded this project have consequently altered who I am today in ways which I am still discovering and has been part of the secret drive behind the books creation. It is not an exorcism because the possession (if this is what it is to be called) is permanent - dissolved into the self and is present more as an evolution in progress. There are seven stages of grief and this book, I believe, marks for me its final stage; Acceptance.

Follow this link to view a slideshow to the complete series:


7 comments:

  1. Simon..."Ordered"

    Good luck with this volume!!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jan, I posted it yesterday to your strange address. Hope it arrives safely and you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, Mark ordered a book. Looking forward seeing and reading it. Best wishes on your first published book and hopefully more to come.

    Peace,
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Iris, I will be posting it tomorrow morning, many thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing, ordered it as soon as I saw the feed in Urbanautica on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Simon, I was looking for your book, but it seems that the jp127.com domain does not exist any more.

    Brian Mottershead
    (photodyne on flickr)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brian, You're right the webpage has expired now because my book has long sold out. If you are interested, I am considering a second print run of it next year. It will be both a re-vision and extension of the original book. In addition to containing the same portfolio of photographs (plus a few new images), it will also include a selection of texts (scans of the raw hand written or typed originals). I also intend to add a few drawings and private 'snapshots'. Titled: Remains to be Seen (Dead Letters). Many thanks for visiting and also for your inquiry.

    ReplyDelete