I found out this morning that part one of my photo series 'States of Grace' has been published at the excellent photography website 'Netherworld Magazine'. Many thanks to Marcin Klimek for doing a terrific job putting it all together. Please follow the link at the bottom of this post to view this feature (which is best viewed as a full screen slideshow) and see more of Netherworld Magazine.
STATES OF GRACE (Part One)
1. the condition of a person or thing, as with respect to circumstances or attributes: a state of health.
2. a particular condition of mind or feeling: to be in an excited state.
3. an abnormally tense, nervous, or perturbed condition: He's been in a state since hearing about his brother's death.
4. a politically unified people occupying a definite territory; nation.
1. elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action.
2. favor or good will.
3. mercy; clemency; pardon: an act of grace.
4. favor shown in granting a delay or temporary immunity.
5. an allowance of time after a debt or bill has become payable granted to the debtor before suit can be brought against him or her or a penalty applied: The life insurance premium is due today, but we have 31 days' grace before the policy lapses.
6. the influence or spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthen them.
Worlds of Fun, KS
Immigration Lawyer's Office
This series of photographs was made during, and also in response to my process of immigration into the United States of America from the UK. It is a personal document – a mosaic of images or even (when viewed with part two) a poem of sorts. The immigration process took approximately one year and it was a difficult and deeply uncertain time for my wife and I. We could not make any solid future plans or put down any roots, just in case. While making this work I often felt like my own anxiety and hope was also a kind of an echo of the anxiety and hope of the nation I had arrived in, which was in the grips of recession and in the middle of an election campaign for a new President.
Follow this link to see both this feature and see more of Netherworld Magazine: