Saturday, June 20, 2009

Running on Empty - Welcome

Winsteads, KS
Winsteads, KS


Williams, AZ
Ghost, Williams, AZ


Little Rock, AR
Motel, Little Rock, AR


Lost Boy
Lost Boy


Virgins, Cave City, KY
Virgins, Cave City, KY


I arrived in America when the recession was beginning to bite. It was an election year and both discontent and a need for change was in the air. Gas prices were rising steeply, the housing market was in crisis, business's were on the brink of closing and the future for many people was looking uncertain.

These images, dreams, poems and other scattered writings were made on several road trips I made during this time and could be described as a collection of psychic co-ordinate points I have made between the imagined America that I brought with me from England and the real America which I found on my arrival last year.

They are the search for a kind of personal orientation between the dream or idea of a place and my actual experience of it in reality. And, very much like a dream, this reality has been often interpreted in these photographs, symbolically and this is how they are to be viewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment