Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Overland Park, KS (XII) EMT School

Overland Park

Overland Park, KS

Overland Park, KS

Overland Park

Overland Park

Overland Park, KS

Overland Park, KS

Overland Park, KS

Since October last year I have been attending Johnson County Community College’s excellent and also rigorous EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) Program with the view to eventually becoming a Paramedic. This is a subject I have been interested in for a while now and it has marked a sharp change in the direction of my career which has always been art based.
Since beginning this course I have found myself making occasional photographs of the equipment used in this training with a mixture of something close to anticipation, excitement and also a little dread. These innocuous human representations have captured my imagination and stand in sterile and sharp contrast to the reality in which I am yet to experience. I find their dark implications difficult to both avoid and sometimes comprehend at this time.
This is a small selection of them and continues my on-going personal project which explores Overland Park, KS. (please see previous blog entries to view more on this project).

Overland Park, KS

16 comments:

  1. Great beginning -- I can't wait to see where this ends up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see the start of a new direction in your work. Best of luck with the new career as well I suppose just promise never to put the camera down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I promise not to put my camera down too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simon, we all make changes in our lives. Some are internally driven others externally driven. I think you are embarking on a very interesting journey. You will have a unique window onto the human condition from so many different vantage points. More facets than a diamond. I hope this new challenge won't engross you so deeply that you forsake your camera for too long!

    Bon Voyage et Bonne Chance!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jeff and Jan. Thanks so much for your comments and support. What you say is true about the human condition, Jan. I will in no way be forsaking my camera either, I just need to find some balance right now. Photography goes hand in hand with the living of my life - they inform and enrich each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am heartened to hear of you embarking on such a fulfilling vocation, Simon. Balance is such an essential in life, I think, yet sometimes can be blooming difficult to maintain. Keep on keepin' on. Mox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finding balance is good Simon, and it doesn't mean stasis. Like crossing a fast moving river on exposed wet stones...balance is needed, but you gotta keep moving! Sounds like the training will be a very portable skill that, longer term, could afford you the flexibility for a variety of topographical explorations. Good luck on the new path my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you guys - for the wise words too. Don, I'll drop you a line tomorrow, I hope. I'd also like to catch up with flickr then too - got a lot of work to see. My best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those, sometimes class moves at lightening speed and I dont take the time to take a good look around, its awesome to see it through a 'fresh' pair of eyes! Guess I should do better at scene size up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Angela, glad you like these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the box of clean faces! So much more convenient than washing, and they don't age. I see a business opportunity ;-)
    Great stuff Simon. I love how photography can remove the context from what we point our cameras at, and by doing so, reveal the underlying absurdity of much of what is around us.
    Good luck with the paramedic thing too.
    Jon (kingjonthethird)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can benefit me. Thank you
    Emergency Medical Technician Schools

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe this interview (with my husband)will interest you...http://insig.ht/2009/11/the-insiders/

    He left paramedicine after 10 years...he photographed his whole journey through it.
    http://mjulius.com/portfolio/rescuing-putnam/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, thanks so much for all the great comments. Hannah, Thank you too. How interesting. I followed your links and really enjoyed both you and your husbands photographs. You both have some great work and I quickly became an instant fan of it. I have yet to read the interview with him, but look forward to doing so tomorrow morning. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete