Monday, November 30, 2009
An exhibition of my 'Victims' series opens this Friday December 4th at B-Studio 2016 Main St, Kansas City, Missouri, 65108.
This show will be part of the 'First Fridays' art event in the crossroads district of downtown Kansas City and will open at 6pm.
Anyone in the area at this time are welcome to come and see the show and say hi.
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Self Portrait (with Cousin) Lawrence, KS
Part 2 of my series of occasional Self Portraits: Scattered Self (finding myself on the road).
This series began last year after JPG magazine.com ran a 365 day portrait theme and asked members to make a self portrait every day for a year. I took up this challenge, but unfortunately I only managed to make an average of 1 or 2 images a week. Here are just a few of the images. I will still continue this search for myself - as, when and where ever...
Part 1 can be found here:
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Here is another small selection from a new series I am working on called States of Grace.
1. the condition of a person or thing, as with respect to circumstances or attributes: a state of health.
2. a particular condition of mind or feeling: to be in an excited state.
3. an abnormally tense, nervous, or perturbed condition: He's been in a state since hearing about his brother's death.
4. a politically unified people occupying a definite territory; nation.
1. elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action.
2. favor or good will.
3. mercy; clemency; pardon: an act of grace.
4. favor shown in granting a delay or temporary immunity.
5. an allowance of time after a debt or bill has become payable granted to the debtor before suit can be brought against him or her or a penalty applied: The life insurance premium is due today, but we have 31 days' grace before the policy lapses.
6. the influence or spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthen them.
Thursday, November 12, 2009
This morning I had my interview with U.S. immigration. After a year of preparation I was finally given the status of Permanent Resident and given a Green Card.
These images are part of a body of work I have been working on over this past year which explore both the immigration process and my personal experience in the United States during the recession. The series as a whole is called 'States of Grace'. When completed the work will contain apx 200 images, divided into four seasons/chapters with a text to accompany it.
Saturday, November 7, 2009
White House, MO
This is a small selection of photographs from an on-going series called 'White House'. I began working on this project last year. The images were made on several road trips I took at this time, between New York and Arizona.
This photo essay has just been published in JPG Magazine, Issue 20
With the world economy sliding into depression. An astronomical national debt. War and environmental issues reaching crisis point it makes you wonder what kind of White House the new U.S. President will be moving into. These images of White Houses made in the American heartland are a metaphor and meditation on this serious state of affairs.
A slideshow of this series can be seen here:
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Lost Boy (II)
Writer and artist Steve Brisendine wrote a review of my recent Running on Empty show for Re-View Magazine (Mid-America's Visual Arts Publication) as part of his excellent and energetic KC Art 365 column: http://ereview.org/category/all-articles/artkc365/
By August 31, 2009
A link to the published review can be found here. Many thanks Steve. :
A slideshow of the Running on Empty series can be seen here: